The Johns Hopkins Medicine Technology Innovation Center (JHMTIC) is a software development team embedded within Johns Hopkins Hospital that jointly develops applications with clinical leaders (doctors, nurses) as its project champions. The team is comprised of UI/UX designers, data analysts, software engineers and other specialists who work independently while relying on each other to support respective projects. The team focuses on rapidly producing high-impact, innovative tools that support clinical, research and administrative leaders. JHMTIC also works with the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab, MICA, Apple, and other leading design and engineering teams to integrate their diverse expertise into our clinical work.
We are looking for a skilled iOS Developer with experience in iOS and mobile app development to maintain and build new features and enhancements for a highly visible research app. EpiWatch is focused on predicting seizures with Apple Watch and epilepsy condition management via surveys, activities, and care team communication on the iPhone app.
The iOS Developer will be responsible for managing development of all associated software components: iOS app, watchOS app, libraries, middle-tier, and analytics. The ideal candidate has documented experience developing for the iOS platform including familiarity with the HealthKit and ResearchKit frameworks, and has an understanding how to manage the build and associated lifecycle operations for deploying iOS apps using iTunesConnect via TestFlight and distributing the app to the Apple App Store.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with product leads, managers, clients, and end users to turn complex system and business requirements into technical specifications for sprints
- Design, build, and test mobile applications
- Research existing technologies, observe clinical processes, and engage in patient/user feedback sessions to better solve problems and create new functionality
- Test all changes by using the appropriate highly complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references
- Provide support by investigating and resolving highly complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service
Qualifications and Skills
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- Required Skills
- iOS programming experience (2+ years)
- Proficiency in Objective-C and Swift
- Strong knowledge of offline storage, memory management, networking, concurrency and multi-threading, and performance tuning
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect iOS applications to back-end services
- Understanding of Apple’s design principles and interface guidelines
- Proficiency using Git and the Gitflow workflow
- Familiarity with MongoDB or other NoSQL databases
- Familiarity with Core Data, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, or other relational database programming and design
- Familiarity with push notifications
- Preferred Skills
- Experience with ResearchKit, HealthKit, CareKit frameworks
- Expertise with watchOS, watchkit framework
- Experience building Progressive Web Apps or using hybrid mobile applications using tools and frameworks such as Cordova or the Ionic Framework is desirable
Benefits and Environment
- Fantastic benefits through JHU: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, flexible spending, tuition reimbursement, etc
- Casual dress code, lunch and learns on Fridays, developers forums, Apple hardware provided